Wednesday, January 4, 2017

"Not" Dogs and Sauerkraut for New Year's Day


The New Year's Day tradition in my area of the country (central Pennsylvania) is to eat pork and sauerkraut for good luck.  My extended family (my sisters and I and our children and their families) get together each year to do just that.

But...  I no longer eat pork now that I'm vegan and I can no longer eat the mashed potatoes, either.

So, I decided to try to find a non-meat hot dog that I can stomach.

See, I've tried vegan hot dogs before and I didn't like them. Mostly it seemed like the texture was the issue more than the flavor.  They were dry and sort of grainy.  Yuck.

I asked my vegan friends for recommendations and many mentioned dogs I had already tried.  Then someone mentioned that Field Roast, the company that makes the delicious vegan sausage and cheese I like so much, made a hot dog and I figured it was worth a try.

I found them at a Wegman's located about a 40 minute drive from home.  (and I found a lot more different vegan mock meats, as well, and I decided to stock up!) But I digress.

Since I didn't want to eat even the sauerkraut that was cooked with pork and regular hot dogs, I thought I'd make my own crockpot of not dogs* and sauerkraut.  My daughter made sure I had a couple plain potatoes - which I mashed with my fork and put a little vegan butter on - and I was all set.

At the end of the meal, I noticed that all the pork and hot dogs were gone and so were the non-meat dogs!  I guess I should have labeled them. Opps! I don't think anyone was fooled by them but they must have tasted good enough to them because I didn't hear any complaints.

These dogs come in a plastic (or plastic-like) casing. If you boil them -as I did- you leave the casings on to cook and remove after.  I presume this is so they don't break apart while cooking. If you pan-fry them - which I haven't tried yet - you take them off before cooking.

For my "not dogs" and sauerkraut, I drained and rinsed a can of sauerkraut and dumped it in the crock pot.  I added a cup or so of veggie broth, about 1/2 onion sliced thin and plenty of fresh ground pepper.  I cooked this on high for a couple hours, then I boiled the dogs.  I removed the casings, added the dogs to the crock pot and that was it.  It worked out well.

I can't wait to try some of the other products I bought!  When I do, I'll be sure to blog about them.

---
*I thought I was quite witty calling my vegan dogs "not dogs" but, of course, it's been used before. There is a company that makes mock hot dogs called Soy Boy and they own the name Not Dogs. Full disclosure:  I've never tried Soy Boy's product so it may also be a good meatless alternative to the hot dog.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment