Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Daiya Cheezy Mac

Daiya is a company that makes vegan cheeses, dressings, pizza and even yogurt, makes a macaroni and cheese mix.

I found a couple of them - the cheddar and alfredo - at a local grocery store so I bought the cheddar to try.

I examined the label and discovered that the pasta isn't made from wheat but from brown rice, instead.  In fact, this product is not only dairy-free but gluten-free and contains no soy, egg or nuts.  It's free from a lot of allergens that affect most people.  Good to know.

There are two pouches inside the box, the pasta is in one bag and the sauce is in another.  You boil the pasta and drain it, then kneed the sauce pouch to mix it, open it, and squeeze the sauce onto the drained pasta.

Even though the pasta is from rice instead of wheat, I really wouldn't have realized it wasn't wheat pasta.  There is no flavor difference.

The flavor reminds me of the deluxe version of a particular popular brand of dairy mac and cheese.  You know the one. Starts with K, sounds like raft....

Unfortunately, it also tastes a lot like that deluxe brand of mac and cheese, as well - and I never did like the deluxe mac and cheese.. Still, it will do in a pinch so I'll probably buy it again.

I think next time I'll try the alfredo version and see if I like it better.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment