Saturday, December 10, 2016

Vegan Steel-cut Oats in the crockpot

I enjoy a nice warm dish of oatmeal and especially like hot cereal this time of year. I also prefer steel-cut oats but... they take longer to cook so they weren't working well for me on weekdays.

Then I heard someone say they cook them overnight in a slow-cooker and I thought, I'll bet I can do that - and make them vegan.

I searched for a vegan recipe and found this one for Vegan Slow Cooker Apple Pie Steel-cut Oats on The Full Helping.  Now I'm going to sound like a lot of people who write comments on online recipes...

I didn't have the dates or the coconut sugar, so I left them out and added some maple syrup. I skipped the cloves and added more cinnamon after cooking as I thought the flavor disappeared while cooking.

It was good - and K liked it, too - but I wasn't thrilled with the apples...  so...  I changed it up a little. Here's my recipe for brown sugar raisin oatmeal based on the one I linked above:


Brown Sugar Raisin Oatmeal for the Crockpot

1 1/2 cup steel-cut oats (not the quick cook steel cut I see now in stores)
3 cups almond milk (I use the unsweetened but I imagine this would work with the sweetened or even the vanilla flavored sweetened if that's your thing.  Likewise, I guess cow's milk would work, too.)
3 cups water
1/4 cup raisins (approx.)
2 TBSP brown sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg (or you can use whatever floats your boat)
dash salt
1 tsp vanilla

Place everything in the crock pot (4 to 6 quart) and stir to combine.  Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Stir and enjoy.

I've already cooked it another hour or so and it is fine.  Just stir it well, scraping the sides, before serving.

It's so nice to wake up and find breakfast ready.  It's one of my new favorite things.

Let me know if you try my recipe and what you think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment