Wednesday, December 7, 2016

MorningStar Farms - a love/hate relationship



When I first decided not to eat meat anymore, I looked around for some meat substitutes to help me during the transition. My local grocery stores carried MorningStar Farms products, owned by Kellogg's, and little else.  So, I tried them.

I was impressed with their breaded "Chik'n" products, the nuggets and patties, and decided I liked the "bacon" that reminded me of real bacon even if the experience wasn't exactly the same.

Their crumbles were a terrific way for me to continue to enjoy chili, spaghetti and even tacos. I was less impressed with their burgers, but there are plenty of those available from other companies so that was no big deal. I even liked the breakfast sausage links. 

Life was good.

Then, I went vegan and... everything changed.

I discovered that none of the above products are vegan. In fact, I wasn't sure that ANY of their products were vegan other than the items in their Progressive Options line. I was so disappointed!

I wrote to Kellogg's and received the following information.  The following MorningStar Farms products are vegan:

Garden Veggie Nuggets
Hickory BBQ Riblets
White Bean Chili Burgers
Roasted Garlic and Quinoa Burgers
Spicy Indian Veggie Burgers
Thai Yellow Curry Veggie Bowls
Chik'n Strips
Steak Strips
Veggie Sausage and Grain Breakfast Patties


No more crumbles!  No more "Chik'n" patties.  It's really a shame! Worse, the vegan products are more difficult to find around my area.

Even though I no longer rely much on meat substitutes, I did like having some of these products in the freezer so I had them in a pinch.  Now I have to do web searches for similar products that are vegan and travel around to different stores to find them.  

I suppose it is all worth it in the end.  It just seems like such a shame that the more readily available products no longer suit my diet. 

I was pleased to get a response from a Kellogg's representative and glad that there were a few more options that suit my diet than I first thought.  Now I guess I have to try to work on getting my local stores to carry some of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment