Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Suds Your Duds the Vegan Way

When you become vegan, you think about more than what you eat and drink.  You also reconsider other products you use in your life.

For example, which laundry products you use.  Do they contain any ingredients from animals? Additionally, does the manufacturer test the products - or the ingredients - on animals?  If you are vegan because you are concerned about animal cruelty, you must remember that it doesn't stop at the farm.

Now, I knew the laundry detergent I use doesn't contain dyes and it states that it is derived from plant ingredients and that it is "green" (one of those nonsense terms) but I wasn't sure if it was cruelty-free. 

I did my research and I'm pleased to say that Ecos detergent is cruelty-free and vegan!  I've been buying it at Costco for years and I'm glad I don't have to switch to something else.

I really did luck out, it seems, as most laundry detergents are not considered vegan and you really have to search to find vegan detergents in stores.  It seems like it would be easier to order it online, if you aren't a Costco member.

Here is a list of vegan detergents I've found:

Method 8X laundry detergent
Mrs. Meyers 68 load laundry detergent
Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap
Good Home Beach Days Laundry detergent
Trader Joe's Liquid Laundry Detergent
Biokleen
Puracy Laundry Detergent
Pure & Gentle Anti-allergen Laundry Detergent
Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent
Earth Spirit Eco-Laundry Cleaner
Forever New Liquid
Whole Foods Market Organic Laundry Detergent

It seems like there are plenty of products available but the hard part might be finding them.  A quick search tells me that Target may have the Seventh Generation and Method detergents but I imagine it varies from store to store.  Of course, if you have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods near you, you could find their detergents. I imagine they aren't cheap, however.

I do recommend Ecos detergent.  It's not overpriced and seems to do the job.  Plus, a little goes a long way so a bottle lasts me for months.

Have you tried a vegan detergent? What was your experience?


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment