Sunday, December 4, 2016

Being Vegan Isn't Always Easy

Since becoming vegan, I've had an even more difficult time figuring out what to eat when we go out.
When I was pescetarian, could usually find a fish or seafood item. When I stopped eating fish, it was more difficult, but I could generally find a meatless entree.  Now, I find myself looking up menus online ahead of time if possible so I can figure out what I might be able to eat.  I've even had to resort to calling places ahead of time to ask if they have any suggestions.

For example, last week, K spontaneously decided he wanted to go to Arby's to eat.  You know... the place that advertises, "We have the meats!".  I quickly used my smart phone to find out that I could have the curly fries and Arby's sauce.  So, I told him I was fine with going if he was alright with me sitting there eating fries.  He was alright with that.  I ate something more substantial when we arrived home. Win-win.

Still, this is a lot easier than navigating a pot luck.  Or an employee appreciation dinner, even. I have both of them coming up this month.

For the potluck, there will be one item I can be sure that I'll be able to eat - whatever I bring.  Other than that?  Maybe a salad - if someone didn't decide it needs bacon or cheese or such. I know my co-workers enough to know that there will be plenty of dishes containing meat, dairy and/or eggs.  I also know that they will probably not go out of their way to prepare anything vegan for me. They didn't accommodate me when I was vegetarian or pescetarian so this will be no different.

As far as the employee appreciation meal goes, I'm going to try to skip it.  They are serving ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, green beans, cookies and ice cream. Same menu every year.

So... I could have corn and green beans if the cook doesn't decide to add something dairy to them or meat juices, which he has been known to do.

I asked my boss if I can just stay upstairs instead of going down to eat but he didn't actually answer me.  It's been bad enough in years past to just get the vegetables, mashed potatoes and desserts.  Now, it just seems ridiculous.  Plus, I really don't want to ask if there is anything added to the veggies.

In any event, I'll be bringing something I CAN eat that day and either eat it downstairs with everyone else or upstairs by myself.

And, yes. I feel a bit better now that I've finished complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment