Saturday, November 26, 2016

Vegan Pumpkin Pie!

I want to be able to share recipes that I've tried but I don't want to duplicate them here if I found them online as that seems like it is cheating.  (and possibly contrary to copyright laws)

I decided that I will link to the recipe but not post it here.  I will still talk about it, what I liked, what I didn't, etc and what I may had done that altered from the original recipe.

This week was Thanksgiving and I made a vegan pumpkin pie to take to the family meal.  I looked online for one that sounded reasonable (easy and didn't contain ingredients I don't usually have or that are difficult to find) and tasty.  I chose this one:

Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pie from It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken

I really enjoyed this pie and will make it again.  Additionally, meat-eaters in my family also enjoyed the pie so win-win!  (or not if you want it all to yourself)

I also like that I could just dump all the ingredients into my blender, mix and pour into the pie crust. You can't get any easier.   I like easy.

I used some of the pumpkin from the volunteer pumpkins that came up in our garden this year so I didn't have to buy any.  You can use canned pumpkin but I really prefer fresh, myself.

The pie crust I used was my mother's oil pastry crust - modified to be vegan.  I will post this recipe:

Oil Pastry

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 TBSP milk (I used unsweetened, unflavored almond milk instead of dairy milk and it worked up just fine.)

Mix flour and salt in a bowl.  Set aside.  Mix oil and milk in a small bowl.  Add liquid to the flour mixture and stir.

Makes 1 2-crust pie* (roll out between wax paper) or two 1-crust pies.
*I use a full recipe for a deep dish pie plate.

2 comments:

  1. Your oil crust looks remarkably like my grandmother-in-law's oil crust, but ours uses just plain water instead of any form of milk. The oil may mix more graciously with the milk; our recipe specifies to pour while stirring the oil and water together.

    For additional flavor, a quarter teaspoon of mace and/or a half teaspoon of lemon zest makes a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice idea. I'll have to try that some time.

      Delete